- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
HOT BUTTON BLOG
An examination of events surrounding daily news topics.
An anonymous quote from a staffer for Senate Majority Harry Reid who said they would “vaporize” their GOP opponent in the 2010 race was an obvious sign how hard Nevada’s senior senator is willing to play to keep his seat.
President Obama accused the insurance industry and cable news pundits of flooding the airwaves with deceptive studies and advertisements designed to sink his favored health care reforms in his Saturday-morning address, a vehicle he often has used to float his most strident messages.
Two anchors at different major television networks have admitted they did not verify a highly offensive quote before attributing it to conservative talk radio host Rush Limbaugh.
Internationally renowned, best-selling author and inspirational speaker Deepak Chopra had a hard time explaining his comments about how Americans were to blame for bombings in Mumbai to the hosts of "America’s Morning News" radio show on Wednesday.
When Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus proposed taxing medical devices to raise $40 billion over the next 10 years for his health care plan, opponents started digging in and looking at what would be taxed. It turned out feminine products, like tampons, were classified as class I medical devices and thus, the “tampon tax” was born.
The Federal Trade Commission has expanded truth-in-advertising rules to target bloggers who favorably review products without disclosing ties to associated businesses or advertisers.
Not only did the four doctors who flanked President Obama at his White House press event on Monday recommend his plan; three out of four of them donated to his presidential campaign.
The government has unexpectedly raised rates by more than 20 percent on inpatient copays paid by retired military veterans and their families who have their health insurance provided by Veterans Affairs.
After Carol Shea-Porter, New Hampshire Democrat, was elected to Congress in 2006 she started denying she was ever hauled out of a town hall meeting in 2005 by the police.
Rep. Paul Ryan, a GOP congressman, said he believed U.S. military generals may soon resign if President Obama does not come up with a clear strategy to win the war in Afghanistan.
The military general credited with capturing Saddam Hussein and killing the leader of al Qaeda in Iraq, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, says he has spoken with President Obama only once since taking command in Afghanistan.
The Senate rejected an amendment proposed by Sen. Jim DeMint, South Carolina Republican, to send more water to struggling farming area of California’s Central Valley through pumps were shut down earlier this year to save a three-inch fish.
A powerful group of GOP lawyers is demanding that government officials open an investigation into the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now to determine if any of their government funds have been used for illegal purposes.
The community-organizing group subjected to repeated criticism by Fox News trusted the channel's top Sunday news anchor to do something the President of the United States wouldn't do today: sit down and talk.
They may be out of power, but the GOP isn't out of options when it comes to forcing Democrats to make difficult votes, such as the ones to defund the Association of Community Organizers for Reform Now (ACORN) that occurred in both chambers this week.
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
Hot Button Blog Archives
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Chavez seizes Cargill factory
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities