Last week Mike Knuble said the Washington Capitals needed some help after losing control of their playoff hopes. In that time they have gotten it and are back in the driver’s set to make the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
Monday’s 4-2 loss at the Tampa Bay Lightning didn’t change that, but it did make winning the Southeast Division all that much harder.
Here’s a look at the updated scenarios:
CAPITALS CLINCH A PLAYOFF SPOT…
1. With wins in their final two games (vs. the Florida Panthers Thursday AND at the New York Rangers Saturday).
2. A Buffalo Sabres regulation loss vs. the Toronto Maple Leafs Tuesday OR at the Philadelphia Flyers Thursday OR at the Boston Bruins Saturday AND a win EITHER vs. the Florida Panthers Thursday OR at the New York Rangers Saturday.
3. With the Buffalo Sabres picking up 2 points or fewer in final three games.
PANTHERS CLINCH SOUTHEAST DIVISION TITLE…
1. With a win of any kind Tuesday vs. the Winnipeg Jets OR Thursday at the Capitals OR Saturday vs. the Carolina Hurricanes.
2. With a total of two points earned in final three games.
CAPITALS CLINCH SOUTHEAST DIVISION TITLE…
1. With a win vs. the Florida Panthers Thursday AND at the New York Rangers Saturday AND the Panthers earning one point or fewer in final three games.
SENATORS CLINCH 7TH SEED…
1. With one point in final three games.