- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s same-sex marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
- Attack on park in Gaza war kills 10, mostly children
- Calif. protesters to block Israel-owned ships at Port of Oakland
- Obama to give Africa $38M, but tells young leaders: Stop ‘making excuses’ for economy
Steve Whyno covers the Washington Capitals for The Washington Times.
The 6-foot-4, 215-pound Urbom is a native of Stockholm, Sweden. He has played in 14 NHL games, and one of the 23-year-old's two goals came in December 2011 for the Devils against the Capitals.
The Capitals knew they had a good future defense prospect in Connor Carrick. What he showed during preseason was he was much further along in his development than anyone expected. His play during preseason pretty much left the Caps no choice but to keep Carrick around and see what he could do when things get real.
After two seasons as the Capitals' associate goaltender coach, Kolzig has been promoted to oversee Washington's netminders, replacing Dave Prior.
Patrick Kane (Blackhawks), Jonathan Quick (Kings), Phil Kessel (Maple Leafs), Zach Parise (Wild), Dustin Brown (Kings), Jimmy Howard (Red Wings), Ryan Miller (Sabres) and Ryan Suter (Wild) all are slated for the Aug. 26-27 camp at the Capitals' practice facility.
By — Published July 2, 2013 Comments
The 23-year-old defenseman tallied seven points in his 25 games with Washington in 2013. He spent the bulk of the season with AHL Hershey.
A left-handed shot, Burakovsky checks in at 6-foot-1, 176 pounds. His father, Robert, played briefly for the Ottawa Senators in 1993-94 and at one point was a teammate of Caps assistant coach Calle Johansson, according to head coach Adam Oates.
The Aug. 25-29 camp for the men's national team will lay the groundwork for the Sochi Olympics, which begin Feb. 7, 2014.
By — Published June 27, 2013 Comments
The Caps will open preseason play Sept. 14 against now-former division mates the Winnipeg Jets at Belleville, Ontario, as part of the NHL's Hockeyville event.
By — Published June 26, 2013 Comments
The 26-year-old played in three games with the Capitals during the 2011-12 season. He opened this past season in the Phoenix Coyotes organization but was reacquired by Washington in April and sent to AHL Hershey.
Grinder shows value on faceoffs, penalty kill and more. If he hits unrestricted free agency, expect NHL teams to line up for his services.
Forward fails to make good use of perhaps his final NHL chance with Capitals.
Veteran defenseman played 16 games in 2013 but showed groin injuries were behind him.
Big right wing is only 19, but he's physically ready for the NHL. Training camp will be the test for the organization's No. 2 prospect.
Coach Adam Oates says 'it wasn't a decision to put him in Game 7,' adding the 29-year-old forward would have been ready for the next round. The Caps just didn't get there.
Capitals general manager says 'Alex [Ovechkin] wasn't wrong' to wonder about intentions after Game 7 loss.
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
Capitals Watch Archives
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- D.C. police chief orders officers not to arrest legal gun owners carrying weapons in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- DeSean Jackson working on offensive cohesiveness with Redskins teammates
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public