The Washington Times - July 20, 2008, 09:40AM

GREENSBORO, Ga. – As a postscript to the earlier post about my lovely accommodations. The fire alarm went off this morning in my hotel.

In a move that would not have made my kindergarten teacher (and countless firefighters) proud, I didn’t exactly rush out of my room. After packing up the laptop and some other stuff, it was time go out to the car. Once there, the realization came that I hadn’t shaved.

SEE RELATED:


Reluctantly, I trudged back to the room, only to find that hotel officials determined the cause of the fire alarm … was in my room.

The lesson – don’t take a scalding hot shower in a budget motel, lest the fire alarm mistakes the humidity that results for, you know, a fire.

But give the hotel folks a bunch of credit – their unconventional and MacGyver-like solution to the problem was to disconnect the smoke detector in my room.

Things can only go poorly if there’s a real fire in the next two nights. So it would seem it’s time to press my luck.

To which the only logical reply is “No whammies, no whammies, no whammies.”

More in a bit.

Patrick Stevens