Just got back to D1scourse headquarters in Glen Burnie, and it promises to be a busy day.
But before cranking out some charts for tomorrow’s dead-tree edition and watching the SEC title game, wanted to toss up what will probably look a lot like the final bracket.
I suspect today’s ACC and Big Ten games won’t matter very much in terms of slotting. The Southland title game will have a minor cascade effect if Texas-San Antonio wins, but it will be at the bottom of the bracket.
The one spot that could be thieved away is in the SEC, where Mississippi State will meet Tennessee. The Bulldogs would take San Diego State’s spot in the draw if they happen to pull the upset.
Look for another bracket around 5 p.m. or so, but it looks like most things should be settled at this stage:
(4) Syracuse vs. (13) MISSOURI VALLEY/Northern Iowa
(5) WEST COAST/Gonzaga vs. (12) SUN BELT/Western Kentucky
(3) Villanova vs. (14) BIG SKY/Portland State
(6) MOUNTAIN WEST/Utah vs. (11) Michigan
Kansas City, Mo.
(2) Oklahoma vs. (15) NORTHEAST/Robert Morris
(7) Clemson vs. (10) METRO ATLANTIC/Siena
(1) BIG EAST/Louisville vs. (16) SWAC/Alabama State-SOUTHERN/Chattanooga
(8) Louisiana State vs. (9) Minnesota
(4) Florida State vs. (13) HORIZON/Cleveland State
(5) Arizona State vs. (12) ATLANTIC 10/Temple
(3) BIG 12/Missouri vs. (14) SUMMIT/North Dakota State
(6) West Virginia vs. (11) CAA/Virginia Commonwealth
(2) Michigan State vs. (15) IVY/Cornell
(7) California vs. (10) Boston College
(1) Pittsburgh vs. (16) BIG WEST/Cal State Northridge
(8) Oklahoma State vs. (9) WAC/Utah State
(4) BIG TEN/Purdue vs. (13) PATRIOT/American
(5) Xavier vs. (12) San Diego State
(3) Wake Forest vs. (14) AMERICA EAST/Binghamton
(6) UCLA vs. (11) Wisconsin
Kansas City, Mo.
(2) CONFERENCE USA/Memphis vs. (15) ATLANTIC SUN/East Tennessee State
(7) Butler vs. (10) Texas A&M
(1) ACC/Duke vs. (16) MEAC/Morgan State
(8) Marquette vs. (9) Brigham Young
(4) Washington vs. (13) SOUTHLAND/Stephen F. Austin
(5) Illinois vs. (12) Saint Mary’s
(3) Kansas vs. (14) MID-AMERICAN/Akron
(6) Ohio State vs. (11) Maryland
(2) Connecticut vs. (15) BIG SOUTH/Radford
(7) SEC/Tennessee vs. (10) PAC-10/Southern California
Last four in: San Diego State, Saint Mary’s, Wisconsin, Maryland
Last four out: Penn State, Auburn, UNLV, Arizona
Next four out: Creighton, Florida, Virginia Tech, Providence
Bids by league: ACC (7), Big East (7), Big Ten (7), Big 12 (6), Pac-10 (5), Atlantic 10 (3), Mountain West (3), Horizon (2), SEC (2), West Coast (2).