A quick look in on some names filling larger or smaller roles than anticipated for Maryland last night.
* True freshman Caleb Porzel had three carries for negative-2 yards in the first half, and didn’t see a carry in the second half.
* No sign of D.J. Adams after warmups. It’s halfway through the season, and Adams hasn’t played. At this stage, the true freshman running back would probably be better saved for a redshirt – especially if Maryland isn’t going to get a substantial running game going anyway.
* Backup kicker Mike Barbour made a cameo on the Terps’ onside kick. He was the guy who faked the attempt before Nick Ferrara’s try was recovered by Wake Forest.
* Speaking of Ferrara, he kicked Maryland’s first 50-yard field goal since Nick Novak had a 54-yarder against Duke in 2003.
* With Adrian Moten and Demetrius Hartsfield in and out with injuries, the Terps got extended looks at Darin Drakeford and Ben Pooler.
* Cameron Chism struggled, and Richard Taylor took over at cornerback late in the third quarter.
* All nine of Maryland’s scholarship receivers who traveled played in some capacity. Kevin Dorsey and Tony Logan were used on special teams, but the other seven guys cycled in and out.
* No Jamarr Robinson sighting.
* According to the participation chart, coupled with the travel roster compiled during warmups, here are Maryland’s DNPs (with notes on who actually did play):
37-Ted Townsley (holder)
Interesting that eight of those 16 guys are true freshmen.