Navy’s first depth chart of preseason camp features a handful of changes among starters and immediate backups.
It also has eight freshmen.
The most notable freshman is punter Pablo Beltran, who impressed in the opening week of camp to take the lead for that job and is also No. 2 on the holder pecking order. Among the immediate backups are free safety Chris Ferguson and long snapper Joe Cardona.
Plebes listed as either outright third options or co-third-stringers are left guard Jake Zuzek, right tackle Bradyn Heap, cornerbacks Lonnie Richardson and Parrish Gaines and linebacker Jordan Drake.
The lesson from all the shuffling? Beltran remains the most likely freshman to make an impact on the Mids this season. Figuring out who is next most likely will probably require at least another week of camp to sort out.
Among other notable changes (but not every last tweak) from the preseason depth chart …
* Matt Aiken is listed ahead of Brandon Turner at wide receiver. Camp star Bruce Andrews checks in as a third-stringer after a series of strong days.
* Delvin Diggs is now the No. 2 fullback.
* Left tackle remains entirely up for grabs, with David Sumrall, Andrew Barker and Graham Vickers all listed as even.
* Joe Ryan is listed as Ryan Basford’s backup at right tackle. Basford, though, is playing left tackle (with Barker at right tackle) while Sumrall recovers from a concussion.
* Wes Henderson is the second starter at defensive end, with Josh Dowling-Fitzpatrick a backup,
* Barry Dabney slipped ahead of Alex Doolittle as the No. 2 option at nose guard.
* Matt Brewer and Max Blue are listed as inside linebacker starters, with Matt Warrick and Caleb King as reserves.
* Brye French is a co-reserve with Keegan Wetzel at outside linebacker after starting camp nowhere on the depth chart.
* Kwesi Mitchell gets the nod as Navy’s most versatile secondary option; he’s listed as a co-starter at three positions: Left corner (with David Wright), right corner (with David Sperry) and rover (with Tra’ves Bush).
* Shawn Lynch is the listed starter at free safety. Jordan Fraser is now listed as one of three third-team options at rover.