Maryland lost its final three regular season games, a slide that sapped the Terrapins of whatever NCAA tournament at-large it clung to entering late February.
As for the ACC tournament? Maryland will still get to face a team it hasn’t lost to in more than five years.
Maryland backed into the No. 7 seed when Miami squandered a halftime lead against Georgia Tech on Sunday. Then the Hurricanes backed into a place in the 8-9 game when N.C. State fell to Florida State.
With the regular season complete, the Terps have earned a date with N.C. State, which is 0-8 against Maryland under coach Sidney Lowe.
If Maryland wins Thursday, it will meet second-seeded Duke on Friday.
Elsewhere in the bracket, Virginia will meet Miami in the tournament’s opening game, while sixth-seeded Virginia Tech draws Georgia Tech in the nightcap of the event’s first day.
The full schedule for the first two days:
(8) Miami vs. (9) Virginia, noon
(5) Boston College vs. (12) Wake Forest, approx. 2:30
(7) Maryland vs. (10) N.C. State, 7
(6) Virginia Tech vs. (11) Georgia Tech, approx. 9:30
(1) North Carolina vs. Miami/Virginia, noon
(4) Clemson vs. Boston College/Wake Forest, approx. 2:30
(2) Duke vs. Maryland/N.C. State, 7
(3) Florida State vs. Virginia Tech/Georgia Tech, approx. 9:30
– Patrick Stevens