BALTIMORE – A few notable items in the Virginia-Maryland lacrosse series that will be reprised Monday at M&T Bank Stadium in the NCAA tournament final …
* Maryland leads the series 45-41.
* Virginia has won nine of the last 11 meetings.
* Maryland is 1-0 under coach John Tillman against Virginia – a 12-7 victory on April 2.
* Virginia is 22-12 under coach Dom Starsia against Maryland.
* Maryland is 3-2 in the NCAA tournament against Virginia – victories in the 1978, 1983 and 1997 quarterfinals, and losses in the 2003 semifinals and 2008 quarterfinals.
* Virginia is 6-4 on neutral fields against Maryland, including three straight wins (2006 ACC final, 2007 ACC semifinals, 2008 NCAA quarterfinals)
* Virginia is 2-1 at M&T Bank Stadium against Maryland – victories in the 2003 ACC semifinals and 2006 ACC final, and a loss in the 2005 ACC semifinals.
* This is the 16th time in the last 21 seasons (since 1991) the teams have met at least twice in a season. The teams met three times in 2008.
* It is the eighth time the team’s seniors have met. For the handful of fifth-year seniors, it is the 10th meeting between the teams.
* Recent Maryland highlights: Knocking off unbeaten Virginia in 2008 in what turned out to be the final game of the season for then-freshman Adam Ghitelman; Hammering the reeling Cavaliers at Scott Stadium in 2011 to bounce back from an ugly loss to North Carolina.
* Recent Virginia highlights: Advancing to the final four in overtime in 2008; Winning in a record seven overtimes in Charlottesville in 2009; Handling Maryland 10-6 at Byrd Stadium to claim the 2010 ACC tournament title.