Maryland’s first game-week depth chart of the season is out. Click here if you want to peruse it.
As for the highlights? Read on …
* There are 14 true freshmen scattered throughout. Some will clearly play – quarterback Perry Hills, wideout and return man Stefon Diggs, safety Sean Davis – so long as they don’t get hurt of visit the Springfield Mystery Spot in the next few days. That is a ton of youth. But given the offseason attrition and preseason injuries, it isn’t a giant surprise.
* Devin Burns and Caleb Rowe are listed as co-backups to Hills. Burns moved back to quarterback during camp. Rowe is a true freshman.
* Brandon Ross held off Justus Pickett to seize the starting tailback job. Neither of the freshman tailbacks – Wes Brown or Albert Reid – is listed.
* Marcus Leak won the Z-receiver position.
* Cole Farrand bested L.A Goree for the Mike linebacker starting nod.
* Davis will start at safety while Matt Robinson and A.J. Hendy are out.
* Senior Nick Ferrara is not listed on the depth chart. He’s been limited at times during camp and is returning from offseason hip surgery. That will be a question that surely will pop up Tuesday when coach Randy Edsall has his weekly press conference.
* The punting competition between Brad Craddock and Nathan Renfro remains a toss-up.