Maryland quarterback C.J. Brown, who missed the entire 2012 season with a torn ACL, is expected to be “limited” when spring practice begins March 2.
“What that means yet, I don’t know,” coach Randy Edsall said Friday. “There’s a chance he could do some seven-on-seven, do some throwing. We’ll end up getting another MRI in mid-February. They feel like he would be limited in some capacity.”
Regardless of Brown’s status, Edsall anticipates transfer Ricardo Young and walk-on Dustin Dailey to handle plenty of work in the spring. It is also possible Shawn Petty, the linebacker who started the season’s final four games at quarterback, would remain on offense in the spring.
As for other injury updates from Edsall (alphabetically, the the way he presented them to reporters):
* QB Devin Burns is also expected to be “limited” in the spring. That was a bit of a surprising description, since Lisfranc injuries often take a lot longer than four months to heal. Burns was hurt Oct. 20.
“When they say limited, that’s something with where we’re at right now,” Burns said. “We’ll see how that all unfolds.”
Translation: Don’t be surprised if Burns really doesn’t do a whole lot in the spring.
While on the subject of the QB-turned-wideout-turned-QB, it appears Burns will be a quarterback whenever he returns from his injury.
“There hasn’t been any conversations to say he wouldn’t be there. …,” Edsall said. “There was never any conversation about him going to another position.”
* C Sal Conaboy had knee surgery after the season but is expected to be fully ready for the spring.
* LB Cole Farrand should be out of his cast on Jan. 2 and go into a walking boot after undergoing surgery for a fractured left ankle. He will be limited when spring practice commences.
* QB Perry Hills will miss the spring recovering from ACL surgery.
* So will QB Caleb Rowe (OK, that’s out of alphabetical order).
* WRs Levern Jacobs (labrum) and Marcus Leak (toe) will be out for the spring.
* DE Andre Monroe (knee) will be available in a “limited capacity.”
* S Matt Robinson is out for the spring.
* LB Alex Twine had some work done on his shoulder, though Edsall said “he’ll be good to go” for spring ball.
* Walk-on DB Regis Whittington is expected to be limited because of a groin injury.