Another week, another ACC Thursday night game, another time when predictions in ACC land can’t wait until Friday …
* Florida State at Virginia Tech (Thursday, 7:30, ESPN): Seminoles 34-10. It might be about time to discount the Hokies for the rest of this season. Sure, they finish against Boston College and Virginia, and that should be enough to land them six wins and a lower-tier bowl bid, but nothing seen to date suggests Virginia Tech will be able to manage much against the Florida State defense. The Seminoles should take a step toward an Atlantic Division title.
* Miami at Virginia (Noon, ABC regional): Hurricanes 31-17. Was Virginia’s outburst at N.C. State last week a blip for the Cavaliers, a function of an opponent sleepwalking through a game or a sign Virginia can salvage the season? Time will tell, though Miami does have plenty to play for (at least at the moment, anyway) with a Coastal Division within reach if the Hurricanes can upend Virginia and Duke to close conference play.
* Georgia Tech at North Carolina (12:30, ACC Network): Tar Heels 41-24. Georgia Tech’s defense didn’t get better simply by facing a team working with its fifth-string quarterback. North Carolina and Gio Bernard should have a fine day on offense against the Yellow Jackets.
* Wake Forest at N.C. State (3, CSN): Wolfpack 31-24. It’s probably about time to quit making predictions about N.C. State, isn’t it?
* Maryland at Clemson (3:30, ESPNU): Tigers 38-7. Maryland could acquit itself well on defense and might not make a massive difference. Clemson is going to piece together a handful of huge plays thanks to Tajh Boyd, Sammy Watkins, DeAndre Hopkins and Andre Ellington. If the Terps struggled to score with a fifth-string quarterback (and understandably so) against Georgia Tech, it isn’t going to be any easier this week.
* Navy at Troy (3:30, ESPN3): Midshipmen 38-24. Navy’s roll should continue as it faces a team it handled easily a year ago in Annapolis. A victory would mean a six-game winning streak for the Mids, their longest since 1979.
* Boston College at Notre Dame (8, ABC): Fighting Irish 34-10. And it won’t feel remotely that close.
Week 10 record: 4-2 (3-2 conference)
Overall record: 63-21 (22-12 conference)
ACC record: 56-19 (22-12 conference)
Preseason ACC record: 54-21 (21-13 conference)
Navy record: 7-2