It appears Kenny Tate’s latest injury is sufficiently healed for him to play.
The senior linebacker is listed as probable on Thursday’s injury report, the latest sign he could make his season debut Saturday at No. 8 West Virginia.
Coach Randy Edsall didn’t make a clear-cut call on Tate’s availability earlier Thursday but hinted the 2010 all-ACC safety was getting close to being ready.
“I don’t really want to say anything right now until I see how he goes through today’s practice,” Edsall said. “He’s been good this week. Hopefully there isn’t going to be anything that comes out of today that would hinder him from being able to play.”
Among the other noteworthy items:
* Edsall said earlier that defensive end Keith Bowers and wideout Kerry Boykins will miss the game with new injuries.
* The only guy with a “questionable” tag is walk-on quarterback Dustin Dailey, who if healthy would probably be Maryland’s fourth option under center.
* Defensive back A.J. Hendy is listed as probable but spent the week on the scout team. It’s unlikely he makes his season debut until after the bye week.
“He was there [on the scout team] last week and did a lot more this week,” Edsall said. “He’s starting to get a little bit closer. You can see the progress he’s made running, working, practicing over the last two weeks.”
* “Joe Vellano – probable” is fast becoming the Maryland injury report’s equivalent of “Tom Brady – questionable.”
* Fullback Tyler Cierski (concussion) is not listed after missing last week’s game. Guard De’Onte Arnett, who was questionable with an ankle injury last week, is also not on the injury report.
The full rundown …
OUT FOR SEASON
QB C.J. Brown (knee)
DE Andre Monroe (knee)
DE Keith Bowers (calf)
WR Kerry Boykins (hamstring)
P/K Nick Ferrara (hip)
QB Dustin Dailey (ankle)
DB A.J. Hendy (ankle)
LB Kenny Tate (knee)
DE Joe Vellano (foot)