The Caps have just finished up their morning skate here at Kettler. Defensemen Jeff Schultz and John Erskine are back in the lineup tonight, while center Boyd Gordon is not.
* Schultz said his finger still feels the same way it did before, but it hasn’t been giving him problems in practice, so he wants to play.
* Bruce Boudreau said Gordon’s back is feeling better, but he doesn’t expect to him tonight or tomorrow in Pittsburgh. Gordon will miss his fourth game of the season because of reoccurring back spasms (he also was a healthy scratch the first two games of the year).
* Eric Fehr will be the odd man out because there are 13 healthy forwards.
* Tom Poti said his injured groin is getting better, but he doesn’t know how much longer it will be. He did stay out on the ice for longer than he has in recent days. Boudreau said he knows he won’t play the next two days (he can’t because he’s not eligible to come off long-term injured reserve), but didn’t really offer a timeframe for his return.
* Boudreau said he addressed the idea that the Caps may or may not look past the Oilers to the game tomorrow night against the Penguins with his troops during their meeting this morning. Sure, the Penguins are a rival but their play of late has to take a little edge of the game for a lot of the players.