Here are a few other quick tidbits from the night that don’t (all) revolve around Alex Ovechkin and Mike Green:
* The Caps have now won five of six and are within four points of Boston for first place in the Eastern Conference. They moved ahead of idle New Jersey for second place, but the Devils have three games in hand.
* Simeon Varlamov is now 3-for-3. He made a couple of amazing saves on rebounds.
* Viktor Kozlov made two great plays to set up Green’s second goal and Michael Nylander’s tally.
* Bruce Boudreau was happy with Quintin Laing’s first NHL game this season. He blocked a shot and drew a penalty that led to a goal.
* Boudreau said the officials just made the wrong call when Eric Fehr’s goal was disallowed. He said a whistle was blown before the play was actually over. The official explination was the puck never crossed the goal line, but video evidence showed that it did.
* OK, more Ovechkin stuff:
— He is the first player in team history with three 50-goal seasons
— He is one of two active players to have done it (along with Teemu Selanne)
— He is one of 20 players in NHL history to do it
— He is the third person to do it in his first four NHL seasons (both Wayne Gretzky and Mike Bossy did it in each of their first four years)