So much for Washington’s bipartisan love-fest.
While Democratic and Republican members of Congress broke tradition and — in an attempt to foster greater civility — sat together for President Obama’s State of the Union speech Tuesday night, Rep. Paul Broun was holed up in his office firing off nasty Twitter posts about the president and his speech.
“Mr. President, you don’t believe in the Constitution. You believe in socialism,” wrote the Georgia Republican in a tweet at the end of Obama’s address to the nation.
Other Broun tweets included:
* Obama’s policies kill free-enterprise
* All children will be poor if we continue with Obama’s policies
* Yes! Repeal Obamacare and replace it with a patient centered, free market plan
* Democrats’ policies have hurt the economy — not helped it
* Illegal aliens are criminals. They must go home
* From my seat, Obama’s call for more investments sounds like more govt spending
* “If a bill comes to my desk with earmarks inside, I will veto it.” We will hold you to that
* Freezing spending at record high levels is not making tough decisions
* Let’s pass my balanced budget amendment
* Corporate tax rates should be zero.
And those were only a sampling of Broun’s State of the Union tweets.
Mr. Broun, a medical doctor by profession, hasn’t been shy in the past to attack the administration. In 2009 he blasted the president and Democrats for their health care reform proposal, warning that if it became law — which it did — then “when mama falls and breaks her hip, she’ll just lie in her bed in pain until she dies with pneumonia because her needed surgery is not cost efficient.”