Donald Trump criticized President Obama on Thursday for not agreeing to release his college records and passport application in return for a $5-million donation to a charity of the president’s choice.
The real estate magnate and TV personality announced last week that he was extending the offer to the president, and that Mr. Obama had until Wednesday to comply. In the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, he extended the deadline to noon Thursday.
After the deadline came and went, Mr. Trump posted a video on YouTube calling it a “very, very sad day for the United States of America.” He suggested that the president’s snub prevented him from giving $5 million to a group such as the Wounded Warrior Project, American Cancer Society or to the families of victims from the embassy attack in Benghazi, Libya.
“Someday those papers will come out, and people will say, ‘You know what? Donald Trump was right,’ ” he said in a video.
Mr. Obama dismissed the offer during an appearance last week on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno,” joking that he and Mr. Trump had bad blood dating back to their schoolboy days in Kenya — a jab at claims by Mr. Trump and others that the president was not born in the U.S.
“We had constant run-ins on the soccer field,” the president said. “He wasn’t very good and resented it. When we finally moved to America, I thought it would be over.”