The Washington Times - September 23, 2012, 10:18AM

“Absolutely not,” Obama campaign adviser Robert Gibbs replied to “Fox News Sunday” host Chris Wallace when asked whether the administration was politically motivated when it initially mischaracterized the recent attack on the U.S. Consulate in Libya.

“No one either intentionally or unintentionally misled anyone involved in this,” Mr. Gibbs said. “We learned more information every single day about what happened. No one wants to get to the bottom of this more than we do.”

SEE RELATED:


Some House Republicans have accused the president of intentionally misleading the public about the Sept. 11 attack in Benghazi that killed four Americans, including the U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens.

Susan Rice, U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, initially said the strike was spontaneous. But top officials offered a different version late last week, with Secretary of State Hilary Rodham Clinton and White House press secretary Jay Carney calling it a terror attack.

Mr. Gibbs defended Ms. Rice, saying she was merely offering the best information the administration had at the time.

“The best information we had at the point in which she gave that answer is the answer she gave,” Mr. Gibbs said. “As we have learned more and as this investigation continues, I would anticipate we will continue to learn more facts about the awful assassination murder of our ambassador.”