The Washington Times Inside Politics Blog

GOP Rep.: Obama administration withholding Benghazi info

← return to Inside Politics

Republican Rep. Jason Chaffetz on Thursday blasted the Obama administration for dragging its feet on providing Congress documents regarding last year’s deadly attack on a U.S. diplomatic outpost in Benghazi, Libya.

The Utah lawmaker says that while the State Department has allowed members of Congress to review about 25,000 documents, they weren’t given copies. And he says lawmakers are still waiting for other vital data — such as a detailed timeline of events that lead to the attack that killed four Americans.

“We have not had all of the documents,” Mr. Chaffetz told Fox News. “There are still additional documents … that we believe the State Department has and should share with the United States Congress.”

Mr. Chaffetz said the State Department’s explanation that they couldn’t share some documents because they’re classified is a poor excuse.

“The interim report, 48 pages worth, gives a good overview, but … we will continue to get after this. There is no good excuse,” he said.

“Nobody has been held accountable, and nobody has been brought to justice. We have four dead Americans and we’re not going to rest until we get to the truth.”

← return to Inside Politics

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Happening Now