The Washington Times - May 10, 2013, 07:41AM

A White House spokesman said Friday that a Republican campaign ad criticizing the Obama administration’s response to the deadly Benghazi terrorist attack would have backfired if it had aired last year.

“This would have backfired massively, voters do not share GOP conspiracy theories on Benghazi and trust Obama as Commander in Chief,” said White House Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer on his Twitter account.

SEE RELATED:


ABC News reported that the Republican National Committee created an ad last fall that began with a replay of Hillary Rodham Clinton’s famous “3 a.m. phone call” commercial from the 2008 presidential campaign and then showed video of the burning U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya.


SPECIAL COVERAGE: Benghazi Attack Under Microscope


Over the images of the attack that killed four Americans, words appeared on the screen:


SPECIAL COVERAGE: Benghazi Attack Under Microscope


“The Call Came … On September 12, 2012.” As the screen went black, the words continued: “Security Requests Denied. Four Americans Dead. And an Administration whose story is still changing. The Call Came.”


SPECIAL COVERAGE: Benghazi Attack Under Microscope


The ad never ran, reportedly because the campaign of Republican Mitt Romney feared it would detract from his message about the economy.


SPECIAL COVERAGE: Benghazi Attack Under Microscope


Mrs. Clinton was secretary of state at the time of the attack.


SPECIAL COVERAGE: Benghazi Attack Under Microscope