Elijah Dukes put on quite a show Wednesday night at Shea Stadium, nearly getting into a brawl with Mets pitcher Mike Pelfry, hitting a home run and then inciting the fans in the Nationals final game at Shea Stadium. Like a said a week ago, don’t fall in love with Elijah Dukes. I still have my doubts he will be here next season. If he is not, it won’t be because of the stuff he has done on the feeling — the excessive celebrating, the spitting in the face of baseball protocol. They would rather he not do that, but his talent is so immense that it trumps that sort of behavior. No, if he is not back, it is because of other issues. Remember, just because someone’s name doesn’t show up on a police blotter doesn’t mean everything is fine. There are different levels of expectation of behavior we are dealing with here. There are the field behaviors. There are the legal behaviors that are required in a society. But there are also organizational behavior standards and team rules and regulations that are a different level. We can see the field behaviors. And the legal issues will be part of the public record. What we don’t know about is what happens on that other level — the organizational expectations of rules and regulations. The Nationals are hardly forthcoming about those problems (see Dukes this spring, when he was completing probation work when supposedly doing baseball workouts), so we really don’t know how Dukes is coping with that. If he does not return, and there are no legal problems on the record other than his past transgressions, it will be because Dukes failed to meet the behavior expectations of the organization off the field. It won’t be because he blows kisses to Mets fans.
- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
A kiss from Elijah
About the Author
- LOVERRO: These are Bruce Allen's Washington Redskins now
- LOVERRO: CBS Sports leaves broadcasters hanging in Redskins name debate
- LOVERRO: Who are the men behind D.C. 2024 curtain?
- LOVERRO: Ian Desmond could follow Jeter model in D.C.
- LOVERRO: Red Klotz an unquestioned winner despite 14,000 losses
Latest Blog Entries
blog comments powered by Disqus
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
Lovey Land Archives
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- State Department indicates Nouri al-Maliki's days numbered as Iraq prime minister
- Inside China: Massive flight woes and a missile test
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'