The Washington Times - July 9, 2011, 06:16PM

One day after stopping Ty Wigginton’s liner with his face, Nationals left-hander John Lannan was in good spirits in the clubhouse looking not too much worse for the wear. His nose was a little visibly swollen but there wasn’t much bruising, his septum was fine and a CT scan taken last night came back clean.

There was a slight break on the right side of the nose, Lannan said, but nothing that would cause him any serious issues. He expects to make his next start which, as of now, would be Saturday in Atlanta after the All-Star break.


Lannan said he was alert and aware the entire time Friday night and his immediate reaction to get off the field came when he saw the blood pouring out of his nose. His vision was not blurred and he didn’t feel any pain immediately — most likely because he was in shock. As soon as he arrived in the clubhouse with trainer Lee Kuntz he grabbed his phone to call his parents and his fiancee to let them know he was OK and not to worry.

“At the time, I didn’t know exactly what was going on,” he said. “I just saw blood and figured that I wouldn’t be able to pitch anymore, so I walked off.”

His biggest lament was typical for a pitcher: throwing a sinker out over the plate to Wigginton.

“I had my sinker going, my change-up felt good,” Lannan said. “Just that inning, I left balls over the middle of the plate. That wasn’t the only hard-hit ball. (Todd Helton and Jonathan Herrera) but they all squared up pretty good. I was just trying to get a ground ball there. I know Ty stays up the middle against lefties, but I thought my sinker would be the best pitch there. Thinking about it now, I should have thrown a change-up.

“One part that (stunk) was the bullpen’s been worked and I was feeling pretty good. I was cruising right there. The fact that I had to exit the game right there kind of put the bullpen in a tough spot. I think they did a great job.”

Balls coming back up the middle on Lannan is nothing new. The left-hander actually used to bury his head significantly, he said, but he’s worked on brining it up more. Friday night he got his glove up but was unsure, even now, if he got any of the ball before it hit him.

Lannan, on the whole, seemed at peace with the situation and wasn’t worried that it would affect him mentally the next time he was on the mound. He said he hadn’t heard from Wigginton but wasn’t expecting to.

“I’ve seen (the replay),” he said. “It’s not that big of a deal. I just wanted to see if I got my glove up there, if I reacted to it, and I did.”