VIERA, Fla. — The Nationals have their only off day of the spring today so there won’t be any game action to report on. There’s still plenty of goings on at the minor league complex, but most of the guys in major league camp are taking the day off.
The Nationals now officially have one week left until they journey north to begin the season. They still have 38 players on the major league roster so they’ll need to make 13 cuts in the next few days.
While we had some time today, I thought I’d take a look at how former Nationals are doing as the spring begins to wind down. As I said the last time I did this, I’m going to try and make this a periodic update and I’d be happy to take suggestions on who you’d like to see on this list.
Without further ado:
Adam Dunn, 1b/DH, Chicago White Sox: 17 games played - .208 AVG (11-for-53), 6 R, 11 H, 3 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 8 BB, 22 K, .311 OBP, .358 SLG
Josh Willingham, OF, Oakland Athletics: 16 games played - .244 AVG (11-for-45), 4 R, 11 H, 1 2B, 1 HR, 8 RBI, 4 BB, 13 K, .327 OBP, .333 SLG
Willie Harris, OF, New York Mets: 17 games played - .317 AVG (13-for-41), 7 R, 13 H, 5 2B, 3 HR, 9 RBI, 9 BB, 6 K, .440 OBP, .659 SLG
Adam Kennedy, 2b, Seattle Mariners: 13 games played - .194 AVG (6-for-31), 6 R, 6 H, 2 HR, 7 RBI, 4 BB, 5 K, 1 SB, .278 OBP, .387 SLG
In other minor notes, Major League Baseball released it’s list of Top 20 highest selling jerseys from 2010 and Stephen Strasburg pulled in at No. 13. He was the only National on the list.
Here’s there rest of the list:
MLB Most Popular Jerseys
Based on Majestic 2010 sales figures
- Derek Jeter, New York Yankees
- Joe Mauer, Minnesota Twins
- Roy Halladay, Philadelphia Phillies
- Chase Utley, Philadelphia Phillies
- *Cliff Lee, Philadelphia Phillies
- Albert Pujols, St. Louis Cardinals
- Josh Hamilton, Texas Rangers
- Dustin Pedroia, Boston Red Sox
- Alex Rodriguez, New York Yankees
- Tim Lincecum, San Francisco Giants
- Mark Teixeira, New York Yankees
- Jason Heyward, Atlanta Braves
- Stephen Strasburg, Washington Nationals
- Ryan Braun, Milwaukee Brewers
- Justin Morneau, Minnesota Twins
- Jacoby Ellsbury, Boston Red Sox
- Ian Kinsler, Texas Rangers
- Ryan Howard, Philadelphia Phillies
- Buster Posey, San Francisco Giants
- Evan Longoria, Tampa Bay Rays
*Lee played for the Seattle Mariners and Texas Rangers in 2010, before signing with Philadelphia in November. His ranking reflects sales of jerseys for all three teams.
And the most popular club merchandise:
MLB Licensing 2010 Club Rankings
Based on sales of all licensed products for the 2010 calendar year
- New York Yankees
- Boston Red Sox
- Los Angeles Dodgers
- Philadelphia Phillies
- Chicago Cubs
- St. Louis Cardinals
- Chicago White Sox
- Atlanta Braves
- Minnesota Twins
- Detroit Tigers
Finally, if you’re looking for some reading today, check out this interesting story by the Washington Post’s Dave Sheinin on why Zack Greinke didn’t become a National this offseason.
And while I’m plugging, make sure you check out the new, re-launched Washington Times sports section both in print and online at www.washingtontimes.com/sports.