The Washington Times - November 4, 2011, 12:21PM

The Nationals announced their one-year deal with Chien-Ming Wang Friday afternoon, making official the $4 million (plus incentives) pact reported Thursday evening that keeps the 31-year-old in the fold for 2012 after a successful major league comeback.

In a statement from the team, Wang expressed some of the appreciation he’s talked about feeling before toward the Nationals for helping him rehab the past two years — and sticking with him for a third.

SEE RELATED:


“I am appreciative of the opportunity and all the support the Nationals gave me to make the comeback,” Wang said in the statement. “I am excited about next season, playing together with my teammates, and look forward to doing my best to help the Nationals to the playoffs.”

Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo also expressed excitement that Wang would remain a member of the Nationals’ starting rotation.

“I am elated that Chien-Ming Wang will be with us in Washington again in 2012,” Rizzo said. “I was very pleased with his progress and overall production last year and am anxious to see what he can do with a completely healthy offseason at his disposal.

“Beyond Wang’s on-field results, everyone in our clubhouse admires his professional demeanor and appreciates the personal sacrifices he’s endured to regain full health. He is a great example for all of us.”

Rizzo made re-signing Wang a priority, reaching out before the 2011 season ended to discuss a contract extension and the two sides stayed in contact throughout October. While the Nationals weren’t able to finalize the deal before Wang technically hit the free agent market at 12:01 Thursday morning, they were able to make sure his time out there was extremely brief. 

Wang is currently in his home country of Taiwan pitching for the Chinese Taipei team against teammates Michael Morse, Ross Detwiler and Collin Balester.