VIERA, Fla. — Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo and Ian Desmond said Wednesday that they’d both be willing to explore a multi-year contract extension for the shortstop, but neither appeared to feel there was a significant rush to get a deal done quickly.
Desmond, who went through his first arbitration process this offseason, is signed through the 2015 season and will make $3.8 million in 2013.
“We haven’t started any of that up, but I’m open-minded with that, yes,” Rizzo said. “With the few guys that we’re thinking about extending, I don’t think that there’s any deadline. There’s no vital deadline that has to be met.”
For Desmond’s part, he said he hadn’t “given it too much consideration.”
“When we get there, we’ll get there,” he said. “And I’ll make a decision from that point.”
While the sides have broached the topic of a contract extension previously, Desmond, who is coming off a career-best season and is now considered one of the best shortstops in the game, said they have never gotten to a point where they’ve exchanged monetary figures or years.
“They asked if we’d be interested and we said possibly,” he said. “That’s pretty much the extent of it. Obviously I feel blessed to be in the situation I’m in where I’m on a one-year contract, finally made it to arbitration, and when we get there, we get there.
“I’m absolutely in no rush. I’ve got three more years in this organization at the minimum. I have no intention of going anywhere. I don’t think they have any intention of moving me so I don’t see what the urgency is, but if it’s something they feel is going to workout for them and they feel like it’ll workout for me, I’ve got no problem with it.”