The Washington Times - July 30, 2012, 09:56PM

Ten months ago a torn ACL in his right knee robbed Jonathan Goff of a full season with the New York Giants. Suffering the same injury last week, the linebacker will miss the 2012 season as well, and he was released with an injury settlement Monday by the Washington Redskins.

“It was really a shame because he’s come in here and worked so hard to make this football team, did everything you could possibly do through the offseason,” coach Mike Shanahan said. “I was really pulling for him. He’s a class individual and just a guy’s guy. Very intelligent, a very hard worker, all the things you look for in a football player. It was just unfortunate.”

SEE RELATED:


Goff hasn’t played since the end of the 2010 season. He was expected to provide some depth in the linebacking corps with the Redskins.

“It’s terrible,” said nose tackle Barry Cofield, who was a teammate of Goff’s in New York. “Hopefully he can bounce back, but it’s just the ugly part of the game.”

Cofield admitted there wasn’t much he could tell the 26-year-old linebacker after this happened to him again.

“The only thing I said to him was let me know if he needs anything. I’m just here to help him,” Cofield said. “But as far as consoling him or telling him it’s all rainbows and sunshine, it’s just not true.”

What’s sadly true is that a second straight ACL tear in the same knee could be career-threatening for Goff.

“I don’t think you can keep a good man down,” Shanahan said. “He’ll come back and fight and hopefully next year he’ll be able to play.”