Quarterback Robert Griffin III is one of five finalists for the NFL rookie of the week award after his historic debut in the Redskins’ 40-32 victory over the Saints. The award is determined by fan voting.
A rundown of the five finalists, courtesy of the NFL’s news release:
- Washington Redskins QB Robert Griffin III completed 19 of 26 passes for 320 yards and two touchdowns, finishing his regular season debut with a 139.9 passer rating. He added 42 yards rushing on 10 carries as the Redskins topped the New Orleans Saints 40-32.
- New York Jets WR Stephen Hill caught five receptions for 89 yards along with pulling in two touchdowns in the Jets’ 48-28 win over the Buffalo Bills.
- New England Patriots DE Chandler Jones recorded five tackles, one sack and one forced fumble in the Patriots’ 34-13 defeat over the Tennessee Titans.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers RB Doug Martin gained 95 yards on 24 carries in the Buccaneers’ 16-10 win over the Carolina Panthers.
- Minnesota Vikings K Blair Walsh was four for four on field goals including a 55-yard field goal to send the game into overtime followed by a 39-yard field goal in overtime to defeat the Jacksonville Jaguars 26-23.
You can vote for your choice: here.
Griffin also is a finalist for the NFL’s air player of the week award:
- Washington Redskins QB Robert Griffin III completed 19 of 26 passes for 320 yards and 2 touchdowns, finishing his regular season debut with a 139.9 passer rating in the Redskins’ win over the New Orleans Saints 40-32.
- Dallas Cowboys QB Tony Romo completed 22 of 29 passes for 307 yards and three touchdowns in the Cowboys’ 24-17 Kickoff victory over the New York Giants.
- Atlanta Falcons QB Matt Ryan completed 23 of 31 passes for 299 yards and three touchdowns in the Falcons’ 40-24 win over the Kansas City Chiefs.
You can vote on that one: here.