The Washington Times - October 30, 2013, 02:01PM

Strong safety Reed Doughty said Wednesday he was comfortable with the decision to stay at home and continue to recover from a concussion while the Washington Redskins traveled to Denver to face the Broncos on Sunday.

Doughty sustained the concussion late in the Redskins’ victory over the Bears on Oct. 20 and passed all required tests last week, but didn’t feel fully comfortable Thursday night and reported his weariness to the team’s medical staff. He sat out of practice on Friday, and with the four-hour flight to Denver, the decision was made for Doughty to miss the trip entirely.

He had bought tickets for several friends and family members to watch him play in his home state for the first time in his eight years in the NFL.

“That’s what made it an even harder decision, but at the end of the day, it was still a medical decision – and it was the right one,” Doughty said.

Doughty’s main concern was how susceptible he would be to sustaining a second concussion – which, so shortly after the first, could have longer-reaching effects. When he was diagnosed with a concussion late in the 2009 season, he sat out the season finale against the Chargers as a precaution.

“You just know that the impact of what a second concussion in that short timeframe can do, and not only would it hurt myself in the long-term medically, but it’d hurt my team,” Doughty said. “I might be out there three plays, get hurt, and then we’re down a guy for the game.”

Doughty was replaced by a combination of Jose Gumbs, Bacarri Rambo and Jordan Pugh in the 45-21 loss to the Broncos. He expected to be able to participate in practice at least in a limited fashion on Wednesday, and he was on the field for the early portion of practice open to reporters.

It was still too soon for him to decide whether he would be able to play Sunday against the Chargers.

“I’m feeling good,” Doughty said. “It’s a matter of just kind of going through this week. I’m feeling very hopeful and optimistic through this week, and we’ll take it a day at a time.”