- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
United Watch Archive: October 2012
Four days after earning home-field advantage in the MLS playoffs, D.C. United saw it taken away by forces well beyond its control. With the New York metropolitan area still recovering from the devastation caused by Hurricane Sandy, MLS on Wednesday announced United and the New York Red Bulls would swap home playoff dates in the two-game, total-goals Eastern Conference semifinal. Published October 31 2012
Seven months and 18 days after the MLS regular season kicked off, it came to a close Sunday night. As we brace ourselves for the playoffs, let's look back at the 2012 campaign by focusing on its standout players. Here are my first- and second-team all-league selections, as well as the votes I submitted for the various MLS awards. Published October 29 2012
D.C. United on Saturday will play their first playoff game since 2007 at Red Bull Arena before concluding the two-game, total-goals series against New York on Wednesday at RFK Stadium. Both matches will kick off at 8 p.m. Published October 28 2012
With crucial seeding at stake, D.C. United on Saturday faced a playoff team for the first time since Dwayne De Rosario went down with a knee injury more than a month ago. And just as they have throughout this unbeaten run without their talisman, United found a way to get the result they needed. Published October 27 2012
Today's match between D.C. United and the Chicago Fire (4 p.m., NBCSN) was stripped of its do-or-die status when United clinched a playoff berth with last weekend's 3-2 win over the Columbus Crew. But there still is plenty at stake in this one. Published October 27 2012
D.C. United this year have thrived under adversity. Their 3-2 win over the Columbus Crew on Saturday to clinch a playoff berth was no different. Published October 22 2012
For D.C. United, the drought is almost over. With just a draw in either of their final two games, United will clinch their first playoff berth since 2007. A win in either match will ensure D.C. will finish no worse than fourth, guaranteeing the club at least one home playoff game. And two wins will lock United into a top-three spot and a bye to the conference semifinals. Published October 19 2012
With U.S. all-time leading scorer Landon Donovan sidelined by a knee injury, former University of Maryland standout Graham Zusi, now an All-Star and MVP candidate with Sporting Kansas City, seems poised to take over a creative midfield role for the Americans during crucial World Cup qualifiers Friday night at Antigua and Barbuda and Tuesday against Guatemala. Published October 12 2012
D.C. United are getting pretty good at this winning ugly thing. With a 1-0 triumph at Toronto FC on Saturday, the club improved to 4-0-1 since captain Dwayne De Rosario suffered a sprained knee ligament. And three of those wins have been 1-0 results. Published October 6 2012
After enduring the United States' Olympic qualifying disappointment, suffering an ankle injury and briefly losing his starting job with D.C. United, goalkeeper Bill Hamid has quietly put together a standout campaign. Published October 5 2012
D.C. Council member Jack Evans, Ward 2 Democrat, said the city is in "final negotiations" to complete a stadium deal with United during an interview Friday on The Kojo Nnamdi Show. Published October 5 2012
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- New York Times reporter Carol Vogel accused of plagiarism
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- ISIL destroys key bridge leading to Baghdad; suicide truck bomb severed supply line