By Scott Klauder
As I sit in my office at Sideshow Collectibles, staring lovingly into the face plate of our 1/1 Iron Man Movie bust, I find myself hoping that you have gone out and seen Iron Man. This film marks the beginning of a new era in comic book filmmaking. And it’s a good time to be a fan.
With the success of the Iron Man movie (approximately $200 Million in box office receipts worldwide on opening weekend) the Might Marvel Machine is stoking the fires with the promise of not only one sequel, but also several other Marvel Films to releases in the next 4 years!
For the casual fan, allow me to elaborate on the repercussions.
After the credits rolled in Iron Man, we were treated to a scene where Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) surprises Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) in his house. He introduces himself, and alludes to the fact that Iron Man is not “the only super hero in this universe”. Not only that, but he then makes reference to “the Avengers Initiative”.
The set up now, is that each of these new releases from Marvel Films will be connected in some way.
In the next 4 years Marvel Films is working on the following:
- The Incredible Hulk - Starring Edward Norton, this film is set to release in June of 2008. There has been a rumor that Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) will make a cameo in this film.
- Iron Man 2 - There is a rumor that Thor will make a cameo in this film.
- Thor - Matthew Vaughn has signed on to direct.
- Ant-man - Under development with writer/director Edgar Wright, with the rumor of Simon Pegg playing Professor Hank Pym/Ant-Man.
- Captain America - Rumored that Matthew McConaughey is the first choice to play the Star Spangled Avenger.
All of these films will not only have their own independent sequels, but Marvel Films plan to combine all of them in “The Avengers” in 2011.
What does this all mean? It means that Marvel fans new and old will be treated to some of the best movies, video games, toys, collectibles and much more for years to come.
Scott Klauder is the production manager for Sideshow Collectibles.