- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Birthdate: Oct. 6, 1947
Birth Place: Paxton, FL, United States
Residence: Laurel Hill, FL
Jim Bryan was born in Paxton, Fla., and currently resides in Laurel Hill.
Bryan retired from the U.S. Army in 1985 after 20 years of service as a paratrooper and weapons expert. He served three tours in Vietnam and received commendations including the Silver Star, Bronze Star and two Purple Hearts.
After retirement, Bryan started a trucking and towing company in Laurel Hill.
Bryan and his wife, Rhonda, have three children.
Jim Bryan, a Democrat running for Florida's 1st Congressional District, has never held elected office. He is making his third consecutive bid for the 1st District and faces six-term incumbent Rep. Jeff Miller.
Bryan also previously ran unsuccessfully for sheriff of Walton County.
Bryan told The Associated Press that he is running for the U.S. House to support veterans' and military issues and to provide a fresh perspective in Congress.
Bryan is a strong supporter of the public education system, which he believes can be improved by lengthening the school day and the school year. He favors expanding early childhood education programs. He believes that the No Child Left Behind Act should be revised and that teachers should move away from teaching to the test and focus instead on classroom learning.
He supports the 2010 health care reform bill. "With the historic passage of the Affordable Health Care Act and the Supreme Court's decision to uphold it, we are for the first time in our history in a position to guarantee health care to all citizens and to rein in the spiraling costs of that care," he said.
Bryan was overwhelming defeated by Miller in the 2010 race, when Miller took 80 percent of the vote. Bryan and two independent candidates shared the other 20 percent of the vote.
Source: Associated Press
113th Congress on Twitter
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- Houston mayor: Sorry that police put man's blind dog on road to die
- HUSAIN: Worlds grand ayatollahs rally behind Sistani