- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
- CIA admits $3 billion intelligence operation was a flop
Birthdate: July 5, 1951
Birth Place: Meridian, MS, United States
Residence: Minden, LA
First Elected: 2008
District: District 4
Undergraduate: University of Mississippi
Graduate: University of Mississippi
John Fleming was born in Meridian, Miss., and now lives in Minden, La. He earned bachelor's and medical degrees from the University of Mississippi.
Fleming was a medical officer in the U.S. Navy and practiced family medicine in Minden. He owns sandwich shops in north Louisiana and is the author of a book on addiction, called "Preventing Addiction: What Parents Must Know to Immunize Their Kids Against Drug and Alcohol Addiction."
He continues to operate his medical practice.
Fleming won election to the U.S. House in 2008.
He and wife, Cindy, have four children.
John Fleming has joined fellow House Republicans in consistently opposing President Barack Obama's fiscal and health care plans. He voted against the 2010 health care reform bill and has said deficit spending does little to help the economy and will hamstring future generations with too much government debt.
Fleming, a doctor, has complained that the Affordable Care Act was the wrong way to improve health care access for patients or to lower costs for businesses. He is seeking to repeal the law now that it has taken effect.
Fleming joined the House Tea Party Caucus when it formed in 2010. He has said Democrats and Republicans "have two competing world views here, and there is no way that we can reach across the aisle." He suggested that support for Democrats could lead to a "godless society."
Fleming has campaigned as a fiscal and social conservative in the 4th District, which represents much of western Louisiana from the Arkansas line to the southwestern corner of the state. He is pro-gun and anti-abortion and supports the display of the Ten Commandments in public buildings.
Part of his 2008 campaign platform was his call for the abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and his support for a so-called fair tax plan to replace income taxes with sales taxes.
Source: Associated Press
113th Congress on Twitter
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- Tech companies call for an end to NSA online snooping
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control