- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Birthdate: Aug. 17, 1955
Birth Place: Circleville, OH, United States
Residence: Savannah, GA
Lesli Messinger was born in Circleville, Ohio, and currently resides in Savannah, Ga.
Messinger is an owner of Wright Square Antiques in downtown Savannah. She also owns businesses in Ohio and southern New Jersey.
She earned a certificate as a drug abuse counselor after her 24-year-old son died from a prescription drug overdose.
Her son's death prompted Messinger to lobby Congress to increase funding for drug abuse prevention programs in schools.
Messinger and her husband, Nathan, have five children.
Lesli Messinger received 54 percent of the vote in the July 2012 Democratic primary and will face U.S. Rep. Jackson Kingston in the November election for Georgia's 1st Congressional District seat.
The 2012 congressional election is Messinger's first campaign for public office.
Messinger is campaigning on a message that Democrats need to take back control of Congress to break the partisan gridlock that's allowed the GOP-controlled House to block much of President Barack Obama's agenda.
Messinger has promised to increase funding for Veterans' Administration hospitals and for programs that reduce homelessness among veterans. The 1st District has four military bases within its boundaries.
Source: Associated Press
113th Congress on Twitter
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- New York Times reporter Carol Vogel accused of plagiarism
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- ISIL destroys key bridge leading to Baghdad; suicide truck bomb severed supply line