- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Rep. Henry Cuellar on border crisis: ‘Playing defense on the one-yard line’
- Activists vow to occupy fast-food restaurants to get higher pay
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez: Senate Dems wary of immigration politics
- Summer camp for 1 percenters: Sushi, limos and shopping at FAO Schwarz
- Colorado gun crackdown law found to be built on faulty data
- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
- Impeach Obama, say 35 percent in new poll
- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
Birthdate: Feb. 9, 1964
Birth Place: Ironwood, MI, United States
Residence: Dunn, NC
First Elected: 2010
State: North Carolina
District: District 2
Undergraduate: Oakland University
Renee Ellmers was born in Ironwood, Mich., and resides in Dunn, N.C. She earned a bachelor's from Oakland University and is a registered nurse.
She was elected to the U.S. House in 2010.
Ellmers and her husband, Brent, a general surgeon, run a wound clinic in Dunn. They have a son.
Renee Ellmers, a tea party favorite, is wrapping up her freshmen term in the U.S. House.
Ellmers upset seven-term Democratic Rep. Bob Etheridge by fewer than 1,500 votes in 2010. The district has since been redrawn to be more favorable to Republicans.
She says she got involved in politics after the passage of the 2010 health care reform bill, which she staunchly opposes.
When conservative concern about health care reform mounted in the summer of 2009, Ellmers began speaking to groups about what she saw as a government takeover of health insurance. She is a self-described tea party conservative and participated in a bus tour coordinated by the pro-business group Americans for Prosperity, which was organizing opposition to health care reform.
Ellmers is a social conservative who says she believes marriage is between one man and one woman. She opposes abortion and believes life begins at conception.
Source: Associated Press
113th Congress on Twitter
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Crime-ridden U.S. cities differ on ways to fight gun violence
- Obama takes aim at 'corporate deserters'
- Let it roll: D.C. Council hits Las Vegas on taxpayer's dime, leaves $14,000 tab
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine