- VA apologizes to forgotten Marine veteran locked in Fla. clinic, forced to call 911
- U.S. social and economic trends on worrisome track, survey finds
- McDonald nomination unanimously referred to full Senate
- Chuck Norris honorary chairman of NRA voter registration campaign
- GOP outraged Obamacare investigators able to get coverage with fake IDs
- Family removed from Southwest flight over tweet about rude agent, dad says
- Michael Bloomberg thumbs FAA ban, plots course to Israel
- California bans full-contact football practices in off-season
- Thune: Downed fighter jets show more evidence of separatist capabilities
- Obama tells DNC fundraising crowd: ‘I’m not overly partisan’
Birthdate: Dec. 17, 1949
Birth Place: Los Angeles, CA, United States
Residence: Los Angeles, CA
Stephen Smith was born in Los Angeles and has lived in the city his entire life. He earned a bachelor's in psychology from the University of California-Los Angeles.
After college, Smith took a job working in a paint factory in southeast Los Angeles. He went on to work for thirty years at Radio Shack in positions ranging from retail clerk to store manager. His work took him to shops in a wide variety of neighborhoods ranging from upscale Beverly Hills to East Los Angeles.
Smith, who married a church choir director, has long been an active chorale singer and has performed at a number of houses of religious worship. He currently sings in the choir at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels.
Stephen Smith was previously registered as a decline-to-state voter but changed to the Republican Party to run for Congress.
In 2012, he will make his second bid to unseat incumbent Democratic Rep. Xavier Becerra.
Smith said his main priority is fiscal responsibility. He supports keeping capital gains taxes low to promote private investment, which he believes will help stimulate economic growth, and thus increase government tax revenue.
While not a formal tea party member, Smith said he supports the group's efforts to rein in government spending.
Source: Associated Press
113th Congress on Twitter
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- HURT: The cost of 'free' water in Detroit
- Two Ukrainian fighter jets shot down
- David Perdue defeats Jack Kingston in Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff
- DEACE: How to go from civil rights icon to bigot in one quote
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies