- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
- Grass-Whopper: Pan-fried cricket burgers go over big in New York City
Birthdate: Sept. 29, 1959
Birth Place: Santa Ana, CA, United States
Residence: Lake Arrowhead, CA
Gregg Imus was born in Santa Ana, Calif., and now lives in Lake Arrowhead. He graduated from Rim of the World High School.
Imus has run his own business for decades designing, building and remodeling custom lakefront homes in Lake Arrowhead and elsewhere in Southern California.
He served as chief of staff and campaign manager for state Assemblyman Tim Donnelly.
Imus and his wife, Pennie, have nine children.
When longtime U.S. Rep. Jerry Lewis decided to retire, homebuilder and anti-immigration activist Gregg Imus was among the Republican candidates who lined up to take over his former territory.
Imus, a tea party favorite, finished first in a crowded field of 13 candidates on the ballot in California's 8th Congressional District, setting up a November general election contest against Republican Assemblyman Paul Cook. The new "top-two" primary model allowed the party to capture the top two slots in the race for the district, which stretches through inland Inyo, Mono and San Bernardino counties.
Imus is perhaps best known for co-founding the Minuteman Civil Defense Corp. of California, a vigilante group that patrolled the U.S.-Mexico border in search of people attempting to enter the U.S illegally. He has never held office but gained political experience while serving as chief of staff to Assemblyman Tim Donnelly.
Imus grew up in the San Bernardino mountains, graduated from a local high school and started his own custom home building business. A devout Christian who has been married for 32 years, Imus is pro-life and has been a foster parent. He and his wife also started a local program called "True Love Waits" to teach teens about abstinence.
Imus said he founded California's Minuteman chapter in 2005 when he began to see growing numbers of foreign nationals moved to Lake Arrowhead.
"Crime began to increase, gang activity and graffiti began appearing. Day labor areas grew in front of small market stores to where my wife and children no longer felt safe entering," he said in a July 2012 statement.
Imus spent more than 2,500 hours with Minutemen volunteers who patrolled the U.S.-Mexican border near Boulevard, Jucumba and Campo. A strong supporter of 2nd Amendment rights, Imus' campaign website features videos of himself engaged in target practice and showcases the anti-illegal immigration logo of the Minuteman group, a male figure clutching a rifle.
He frequently speaks about increasing federal funding to secure the southern border and stepping up deportations. Imus also supports ending birthright citizenship.
A strong advocate for reigning in government spending, Imus has called for defunding the United Nations and bringing troops home from Afghanistan to patrol the border.
Imus also favors implementing a flat tax system and abolishing the capital gains tax and death tax.
Imus makes his roots outside politics a big part of his appeal to voters, telling the story of his small business and experience building custom homes in Lake Arrowhead.
"I am not a politician. I am the only candidate in this race that has never run for or held a political office," he says on his website.
Source: Associated Press
113th Congress on Twitter
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- Colorado judge: Bakery owner discriminated against gay couple
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Hola: Boehner prepares to push amnesty bill through House
- KUHNER: Who betrayed Navy SEAL Team 6?