- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
Birthdate: Jan. 16, 1951
Birth Place: Spartersville, OH, United States
Residence: Waverly, OH
William Smith was born in Spartersville, Ohio, and now lives in Waverly.
He said he attended Ohio University and is a former postal worker. He is currently a truck driver and lives with his mother.
William Smith narrowly won the Democratic nomination for Ohio's 2nd District U.S. House seat in one of the primary season's most unusual races. He defeated David Krikorian, who had run for the seat three times and had some Democratic Party officials' support. Smith ran a nonexistent campaign and won with 50.2 percent of the vote, compared with Krikorian's 49.8 percent.
Smith, a truck driver, doesn't have a campaign web site or any significant organization, and didn't do any major public campaign events or media endorsement interviews.
His late hours driving made him difficult to reach.
After Smith won the primary, he said his reasons for running were "complicated" and focused on the mistreatment of veterans, the mortgage banking industry and federal rules regarding how long truckers are allowed to drive.
He said he didn't know about a "Victory Ohio Super PAC" that ran so-called robocalls in his support.
Smith lives in Waverly, in economically struggling Pike County in southern Ohio. In the November 2012 general election, he faces surprise Republican nominee Brad Wenstrup, who upset incumbent Rep. Jean Schmidt in the GOP-dominated district.
Source: Associated Press
113th Congress on Twitter
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel warns Pakistani leaders of U.S. aid losses over drone-strike protests