- The Washington Times - Wednesday, April 19, 2000

MUKWONAGO, Wis. Parents whose children were reputedly on a "kill list" drawn up by a 12-year-old classmate are pushing for the boy's expulsion from school.

"This isn't something the individual did just out of being a kid," said Nick Meindl, whose son, along with about five other boys, was named on the list. "I do take it very seriously. I am concerned."

Mr. Meindl said he told school officials Monday that he would transfer his son if they didn't expel the student who wrote the list.

The parents said they have been talking with school officials and police since the sixth-grader was suspended Friday from Prairie View School, an elementary school in Mukwonago.

According to police and parents, the youth had shown what he called a "kill list" to some of the students named on it. One of the students told the principal, who later called police.

While police said the boy told them the list was meant to scare students who had been teasing him about his weight, the parents of students on the list said the list's author is the school bully, who they feared would follow through on his threat.

One parent said the boy circulated the list around the school for two weeks before the school's principal was notified of it Friday. The principal then contacted the boy's parents, who came to get him at school, Mukwonago Superintendent Paul Strobel said.

Mr. Strobel said he couldn't comment specifically on the case or what punishment was being sought.

"I can tell you that in the past in cases where a student has threatened the health and safety of someone else we have moved toward expulsion," he said.

• Distributed by Scripps Howard.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide