- The Washington Times - Wednesday, August 2, 2000

Zimbabwe to seize 50% of white farms

HARARE, Zimbabwe In a planned massive land seizure, Zimbabwe's government has confirmed that it intends to take more than half of all the white-owned farming land in the country without paying for it and redistribute it to 500,000 poor black families.

The government had already said it would confiscate 804 farms from Zimbabwe's white minority. But in a statement late Monday, Vice President Joseph Msika announced a sharp increase in the total, saying more than 3,000 farms will be resettled.

Fox to urge end of drug certifying

MEXICO CITY Mexican President-elect Vicente Fox will ask President Clinton to scrap the U.S. drug certification program during an upcoming visit to Washington, an adviser to Mr. Fox said yesterday.

The new Mexican leader, who becomes president Dec. 1, will call on Mr. Clinton at the White House on Aug. 24, said Adolfo Aguilar Zinzer, who advises Mr. Fox on foreign affairs.

Sudan aid effort under attack

NEW YORK A senior U.N. official expressed concern yesterday at what he called an "apparent campaign in the Sudanese media" against Operation Lifeline Sudan (OLS), through which the United Nations and other bodies have been helping Sudanese people for the past 11 years.

President Omar Hassan Bashir last week accused aid groups of helping the rebel Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLA), and his charges have been repeated in the press.

Chavez sends troops to quell protests

CARACAS, Venezuela Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez sent army troops yesterday to quell disturbances over disputed regional elections as several opposition candidates challenged the results of Sunday's general elections.

Mr. Chavez, a left-leaning former paratrooper, cruised to a fresh six-year term backed by strong support among the country's poor majority in a ballot described as clean and fair by international observers.

Concorde to stay grounded for now

PARIS French authorities decided yesterday to keep Air France's Concordes grounded, saying the supersonic jetliners won't fly again until investigators can re-create the events that sparked last week's raging fire and deadly crash.

Investigators have not pinpointed what led to the Concorde's dive into a hotel in the town of Gonesse, killing 113 persons. A panel of experts will convene tomorrow to try to nail down what happened, said French Transport Minister Jean-Claude Gayssot.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide