- The Washington Times - Friday, August 4, 2000

France keeps Concordes grounded

PARIS The French Transportation Ministry decided Thursday to keep the ban on Concorde flights until experts clarify exactly what caused an Air France supersonic jet to crash, killing 113 persons.
Air France has five Concordes. British Airways, which has seven Concordes, resumed its flights a day after the crash.

Gunmen storm British court

LONDON Two masked men shot their way into a British courtroom Thursday and freed two burglary suspects, police said.
One of the escapees was later rearrested after the raid on the courtroom in Slough, west of London.
The gunmen, wearing balaclavas and fluorescent jackets similar to those sometimes worn by police, fired up to four shots from a handgun and shotgun, but no one was hit, said Brian Langston of the Thames Valley police.

Russia reports Chechnya deaths

NAZRAN, Russia After a full year of fighting in the current Chechnya war, more than 2,500 Russian soldiers have been killed, a top Russian general said Thursday.
Deputy chief of the general staff Col. Gen. Valery Manilov said 2,508 troops have died since fighting began Aug. 2, 1999. Official figures put losses in the 1994-96 war, which lasted 21 months, at 3,826.
However, Russia is widely believed to understate its battlefield losses.

Boy enters plea in Web-site attacks

MONTREAL A 16-year-old boy accused of paralyzing major Web sites, including those of CNN, Yahoo and Amazon.com, pleaded not guilty Thursday on charges that could land him in a teen detention center for two years.

The Montreal high school student, who calls himself 'Mafiaboy' on the Internet, had already faced two mischief charges after CNN's Web site was crippled in February. He now faces 60 new charges of hacking and mischief.

Police described the boy, who is too young to be identified under Canadian law, as bright but not a computer genius.

The boy is accused of bombarding the sites with thousands of simultaneous messages, crippling them.

U.S. stops training Haitian police

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti The United States, which has threatened to cut aid to Haiti if dubious election results are allowed to stand, has shut down a training program for the Caribbean nation's fledgling police force.
A U.S. Justice Department spokesman confirmed Thursday that the program was closed this week, but declined to say why.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide