- The Washington Times - Monday, July 24, 2000

A wrongful-death lawsuit filed this spring against a national "man-boy love" organization may be expanded into a class-action suit, says the lawyer for a family whose son was murdered by men involved with the group.
Based on other child-rape cases being gathered, "it is anticipated that a class-action lawsuit will eventually be added to this litigation on behalf of the thousands of children who are raped each year by NAMBLA members," said Lawrence W. Frisoli, an attorney for the family of Jeffrey Curley of East Cambridge, Mass.
NAMBLA refers to the North American Man-Boy Love Association. The secretive group, which has addresses in New York and San Francisco, says it "speaks out against societal repression and celebrates the joys of men and boys in love."
NAMBLA spokesmen could not be reached, and its Web site (www.nambla.org) was not operating last week.
Anti-pornography experts said the legal efforts against NAMBLA are unprecedented and will be closely watched.
The civil lawsuit was filed by the family of 10-year-old Jeffrey Curley, whose body was found in October 1997 floating in a tub of cement in a river. The fifth-grader had vanished a few days earlier.
Two college-age neighbors, Salvatore Sicari and Charles Jaynes, were later convicted of kidnapping and murdering the boy.
Sicari confessed that he and Jaynes had lured Jeffrey into their car by promising to buy him a bike. When Jeffrey resisted Jaynes' sexual advances, Jaynes suffocated him with a gasoline-soaked rag and sexually abused him.
The men put Jeffrey's body in a tub with concrete and threw it in a river.
In May, Jeffrey's family filed wrongful death charges against NAMBLA, seven of its leaders and an unidentified Internet service provider because, Mr. Frisoli said, the murderers had a clear "tie-in" to them.
"Very frequently, children are raped by NAMBLA members, but the question is, is there a causal connection to the organization itself?" he asked.
In the Curley case, "Charles Jaynes maintained a diary," said Mr. Frisoli. "And in his own handwriting, he says that reading the NAMBLA Bulletin and his exposure to NAMBLA helped him come to terms, psychologically and emotionally, with his urge to rape children."
Mr. Frisoli said he is collecting similar evidence in other cases for a potential class-action suit.
Robert Peters, president of Morality in Media in New York, said that recent legal victories over the Ku Klux Klan may set the stage for a victory against NAMBLA.
The Southern Law Poverty Center successfully sued KKK leaders, not for their personal acts of violence, but "by holding them responsible for what their members are doing for the acts of their followers," said Mr. Peters, a veteran opponent of obscenity.
"If it can be done against the Klan, it seems to me that … it should be possible to win against NAMBLA," said Mr. Peters.
"I think it's about time someone tried" to get a class-action lawsuit against NAMBLA, said Bruce A. Taylor, president of the National Law Center for Children and Families and a leading prosecutor of obscenity cases.
A lawsuit against NAMBLA has a legal advantage in that child pornography is unprotected speech and therefore illegal, he said, noting that civil lawsuits against other pornography purveyors ran into protected-speech issues.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide