- The Washington Times - Tuesday, June 13, 2000

Displaced Congolese return to Kisangani

KISANGANI, Congo Tens of thousands of war-weary Congolese poured into Kisangani yesterday, returning to their families and shattered homes at the end of a seven-day bombardment by Rwandan and Ugandan forces.
Blue U.N. flags flew at both ends of the bridge that now separates Rwandan and Ugandan forces after the Rwandans pushed the Ugandans north across the Tshopo River on Sunday. Ugandan forces tried for a week to move into Kisangani, Congo's third-largest city between the Tshopo and Congo rivers.
Lt. Col. Danilo Paiva, head of the 30-strong observer team, said about 50,000 people were on the move, crossing back into the city after fleeing into Ugandan-controlled northern Congo when the fighting erupted between the two armies June 5.

Athens to propose anti-terrorism action

ATHENS Greece will propose to Britain a European Union initiative to combat terrorism, saying last week's shooting of a British military attache in Athens made a case for joint action.
A similar agreement for increased police cooperation with the United States was ready to be signed, a Foreign Ministry spokesman said.
International criticism of Greece's law enforcement record has been increasing after Thursday's assassination of Brig. Stephen Saunders. Responsibility for the attack was claimed by the terrorist group known as November 17. But police still have made no headway on the case, despite assistance from Scotland Yard investigators.

Israeli-Palestinian talks to resume today in U.S.

Israeli-Palestinian peace talks will resume in the Washington area today, one day later than originally planned, officials said.
Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright set up the talks last week as part of an accelerated effort to bring about an agreement on "permanent status" issues such as Jerusalem, borders, refugees and Jewish settlements.
Mrs. Albright said the talks, to be conducted out of the public eye, will be held at Andrews and Bolling Air Force bases.

Prince Charles visits Northern Ireland

ARMAGH, Northern Ireland Prince Charles began a two-day visit yesterday to Northern Ireland, trying to steer clear of the province's delicate politics.
Charles, the heir to the British throne, met with church leaders and officially opened the city's Market Place theater and arts center. But he skipped a visit to Londonderry, where the Bloody Sunday Tribunal is looking into the 1972 shooting deaths of 13 Catholic protesters in a Londonderry street.
The prince's advisers decided to cancel the trip because Charles is commander in chief of the Parachute Regiment that gunned down the civilians in what was the worst mass killing by British troops in Northern Ireland.

Ethiopia OKs truce, but fighting continues

ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia Ethiopia and Eritrea appeared close to a cease-fire in their 2-year-old war yesterday after Ethiopia agreed in principle to a peace plan that would put a U.N. military force along their disputed border.
But fighting continued, with Ethiopia saying it had subdued Eritrean forces on all three fronts, killing or capturing thousands of enemy forces. Eritrea said it did not believe its much larger southern neighbor was serious about peace.
Eritrea, whose negotiating position was hit by a string of recent battlefield losses, already had agreed to the peace plan, so Ethiopia's acceptance could lead to a quick cease-fire in the war.

French photographer released in Chechnya

MOSCOW A French photographer kidnapped in Chechnya last October has been freed, the Russian Interior Ministry said yesterday.
Brice Fleutiaux, an independent French photographer, was taken hostage Oct. 1 while covering the war in Chechnya. His captors had demanded $1.5 million for his release.

• Based on wire dispatches and staff reports.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide