- The Washington Times - Monday, July 9, 2001

Philippines arrests Abu Sayyaf leader
MANILA Tipped off by civilians, security officers in the southern Philippines have arrested one of the leaders of the Abu Sayyaf, a Muslim extremist group holding some 20 captives, officials said today.
Nadzmie Sabtulah, also known as Commander Global, was described by military officials as the Abu Sayyaf's most respected commander.
The arrest last night in the southern region of Mindanao was considered the most serious single blow yet to the morale and might of the 1,100-member Abu Sayyaf, which fended off a major military assault last year and is currently fighting at least 5,000 troops.

Japan rejects demand to change history books
SEOUL Japan today rejected South Korean government demands to revise history textbooks accused of glossing over Japan's wartime atrocities, officials said.
Japan explained its refusal in a meeting between its ambassador to Seoul, Terusuke Terada, and South Korean Foreign Minister Han Seung-Soo.
South Korea demanded that 35 passages in eight books for middle school students be rewritten, but reports said Japan had agreed to only minor changes.
Earlier, President Kim Dae-jung refused to meet top officials from Japan's ruling coalition as anger mounted over the controversial Japanese history books and a new fishing row.

Palestinians bury boy amid new clashes
RAFAH, Gaza Strip — Israeli troops and Palestinian gunmen battled yesterday in the southern Gaza Strip, while nearby, hundreds of Palestinians vowed revenge at the funeral of an 11-year-old boy shot and killed a day earlier.
Palestinian militants threw more than 60 grenades and fired automatic weapons at Israeli outposts in Rafah, in the Gaza Strip near the border with Egypt, the Israeli army said. The Israeli troops returned fire in the overnight clashes.
Also in Rafah, the Palestinians buried Khalil Ibrahim Mugrabi, 11, who was shot in the head Saturday near an area where Palestinian militants and Israeli soldiers had been exchanging fire.

200 Srebrenica victims found in mass grave
SARAJEVO, Bosnia — Bosnian Muslim officials said yesterday they had found a mass grave in eastern Bosnia of more than 200 victims of the Srebrenica massacre of up to 8,000 Muslims.
"This is one of the biggest findings in a single mass grave we have had so far, and judging by documents we found in it, these are the people from Srebrenica, " exhumation team head Murat Hurtic told Reuters news agency by telephone.
"It is difficult to say exactly how many bodies were there, but it is definitely more than 200," said Mr. Hurtic, whose team was formed by the Muslim Commission for Missing Persons.
He said it was a "secondary grave" to which the remains had been transferred from the original burial site after Bosnia's 1992-95 war among Muslims, Serbs and Croats.

Bolivia seeks successor to ailing president
Bolivia's foreign minister said yesterday that government officials are not now discussing a successor to President Hugo Banzer, who is being treated at a Washington hospital for lung and liver cancer.
Mr. Banzer's condition was described Saturday as "grave" by the government's spokesman. Information Minister Manfredo Kempff also said the president would make the decision on whether to step aside.
Foreign Minister Javier Murillo de la Rocha told reporters he expected to visit Mr. Banzer at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center.
Next in the line of presidential succession as outlined in the Bolivian Constitution is Vice President Jorge Quiroga, who serves as acting president whenever the president is out of the country.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide