- The Washington Times - Monday, October 1, 2001

JERUSALEM Israeli troops shot and killed three Palestinians in the West Bank yesterday, witnesses said, bringing to 18 the number of Palestinians killed since the two sides agreed last week to stop fighting.
The Israeli army reported numerous Palestinian attacks on its troops over the previous 24 hours, saying there were several injuries but no fatalities on the Israeli side.
With the latest Midde East truce looking shaky, Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat flew to Cairo, where he met with President Hosni Mubarak. After the meeting, Mr. Arafat said he and Mr. Mubarak discussed disagreements among Israeli politicians over the implementation of the cease-fire agreement reached Wednesday. He did not elaborate.
Asked about upcoming Israeli-Palestinian security talks, Mr. Arafat said: "Despite the continuation of Israeli aggressive acts, I didn't halt political meetings with the Israelis." He then left for Jordan for a meeting with King Abdullah II.
Israeli and Palestinian officials said that according to the agreement, the truce was to take effect Friday, with various elements being implemented over the following four days.
Hard-liners in the government of Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon said continuing attacks on Israeli soldiers and civilians showed Mr. Arafat was not serious about the truce. But dovish Foreign Minister Shimon Peres said there had been some improvement.
"It's clear that the suicide bombers and car bombs have stopped," he told Israeli army radio. Still, he said, "there have been some very serious incidents."
With 18 Palestinians killed and no Israelis over the past five days, Israel opposition leader Yossi Sarid questioned the army's assertion that soldiers open fire only in response to life-threatening attacks.
"I don't believe that just by responding we would have reached such fatal results," he said.
Palestinian Information Minister Yasser Abed Rabbo said Israel had yet to honor its side of the bargain and start lifting a military blockade of Palestinian towns, villages and roads. "Nothing has been implemented yet," he said. "We need to see some actions on the ground, not only words on paper."
Israeli Transportation Minister Ephraim Sneh told army radio that closures would be lifted only in places where there are no violent incidents.
Palestinian taxi driver Asmi Asm said that in the pre-dawn hours of yesterday, he and other drivers were ferrying laborers from the West Bank city of Nablus to the town of Tulkarem, near the border with Israel. They intended to join the thousands of Palestinians who slip into Israel to work illegally.
Mr. Asm said that about halfway through the journey, near the village of Silat e-Dhar, the convoy came upon a pile of rocks blocking the road. When some of the passengers began dismantling the barrier, Israeli troops concealed in a nearby olive grove opened fire, killing two persons and wounding six, he said.
The military said it was checking the report. Army radio said soldiers shot at the vehicles when they failed to stop at a roadblock.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide