- The Washington Times - Thursday, September 20, 2001

Progress reported in bid to raise Kursk
DE MEERN, The Netherlands Divers working on the sunken Russian nuclear submarine Kursk took advantage of calm weather yesterday to prepare the vessel to be hoisted from the bed of the Barents Sea, the Dutch consortium in charge of the operation said.
A statement from the Mammoet-Smit consortium said the divers were attaching structures that would be used to fasten the wreck to a heavy-lifting barge. Around half the structures had been attached to date, he said.
The Kursk, once the pride of the Russian navy, sank on Aug. 12 last year for still-unexplained reasons, killing all 118 men aboard.

Morocco police arrest Islamist from Algeria
RABAT, Morocco Moroccan police have arrested a leader of Algeria's outlawed Islamic Salvation Front, or FIS, Kamar Eddine Kharbane, who lives in Britain and was visiting Casablanca, his attorney said yesterday.
Lawyer Mustapha Ramid said that his client had been detained on Tuesday.
The FIS was poised to win a general election in Algeria in January 1992, but the army called off the vote after the party made sweeping first-round gains.
The move unleashed an armed Muslim fundamentalist insurgency, which has since claimed more than 150,000 lives, according to the Algerian press.

Protestant militants charged in N. Ireland
BELFAST Police charged six Protestant militants yesterday in connection with violent protests outside a Roman Catholic elementary school for girls.
The dispute that started three weeks ago continued yesterday with scores of Protestant residents blowing whistles and shouting at Catholic parents outside Holy Cross Primary School, which is flanked by Protestant homes in the north Belfast district of Ardoyne.
Riot police charged into the crowd and arrested eight men; six were charged with disrupting public order. One man was freed without charges, while police continued to question the eighth suspect.

Composer apologizes for U.S. attack remarks
HAMBURG, Germany German composer Karlheinz Stockhausen apologized for calling last week's attacks on the United States a "work of art" words that prompted the cancellation of four concerts in this northern city.
The 73-year-old Mr. Stockhausen, one of Germany's best-known postwar composers, had described the attacks as "the greatest work of art one can imagine."
"That minds accomplish in one act something that we in music can't dream of, that people rehearse like mad for 10 years totally fanatically for a concert and then die that's the greatest work of art there is in the entire cosmos," he said Sunday.
He has since apologized.

Russia upholds verdict of Fulbright scholar
MOSCOW Russia's highest court yesterday upheld the conviction of U.S. Fulbright scholar John Tobin, who served half of a one-year prison term for marijuana possession before being freed to return home last month.
Tobin, 24, has denied the charges and pleaded not guilty at his trial in the southern city of Voronezh.
Tobin's attorney, Maxim Bayev, appealed the verdict to the Supreme Court, asking it to throw out the conviction for lack of evidence. But the court ruled the evidence against Tobin was solid and the conviction must stand, court spokesman Nikolai Gastello said.

Bach manuscripts to be returned to Germany
KIEV A vast archive containing works by the 18th-century composer Johann Sebastian Bach must be returned to Germany, Ukraine's Cabinet said yesterday.
The trove of more than 5,100 documents had long been considered lost until Harvard music professor Christoph Wolff found the collection in Kiev in June 1999 after a 20-year search.
The documents part of the missing archives of the Berlin Sing Academy, a still-performing group established in 1791 were moved from Germany in 1943 to shield them from Allied bombing raids. They later fell into Soviet hands and were feared lost.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide