- The Washington Times - Monday, February 3, 2003

Maryland State Police officials say a weekend operation to keep speeders and drunken drivers off the Capital Beltway resulted in about 50 citations.
Troopers from College Park, Forestville and Rockville barracks participated in Operation Beltway Buckle Down on Friday, which resulted in five drunken-driving and three criminal arrests, said Cpl. Rob Moroney, a department spokesman.
The operation was suspended about 10 p.m. because of dangerous road conditions created by rain and fog.
He also said that typically one in 10 motorists on a Friday night is driving under the influence of alcohol.
Four troopers received minor injuries about 45 minutes into the operation when they pulled a driver from his burning car after a chase.
The driver, Maurice Romero Foster, forced a patrol car into a guardrail near Largo and crashed several times near exit 15A before stopping.
The Temple Hills resident, 54, was taken to the hospital complaining about seizures.
No charges had been filed as of the weekend, Mr. Moroney said.
"We're fortunate that he hit only signs, Jersey walls and guardrails," said Lt. Jim Martyn, commander of the Forestville barrack.
Among those also arrested was Christopher Hall, 41, of Prince Frederick, police officials said.
Mr. Hall was stopped near the intersection of Route 301 and Branch Junction and charged with drunken driven, property destruction and assault, police said.
He attacked a trooper while inside a patrol car, according to state police.
The overtime costs were paid with a federal grant.
Mr. Moroney said the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration will continue to help pay for more patrols throughout the year.
"It's extremely dangerous and not as glamorous as it looks on TV," he said.
This article is based in part on wire service reports.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide