- The Washington Times - Wednesday, February 5, 2003

KUWAIT CITY (Agence France-Presse) Kuwait got back this week artwork, swords and documents stolen during Iraq's 1990-91 occupation of the emirate in a handover at the border coordinated by the U.N. Iraq-Kuwait Observer Mission (UNIKOM).
"They finished the handover process at 11:30 a.m." on Monday, UNIKOM spokesman Daljeet Bagga told AFP. "It was mostly documents, a painting, some files and papers, a couple of swords and small guns."
The restitution ceremony took place at Um Qasr on the Iraqi side of the U.N.-monitored demilitarized zone, Mr. Bagga said. "Everything went well and smoothly," he added.
Baghdad had announced a day earlier that it would return old swords and paintings belonging to Kuwait's ruling family that were recently seized in Iraq, which invaded Kuwait in August 1990.
"Iraqi customs guards recently seized five swords of the emir's Honor Guards, a painting and other objects belonging to the ruling family" in Kuwait, an Iraqi Foreign Ministry spokesman said.
The implication was that they were seized from individuals.
On Dec. 22, Iraq returned to Kuwait similar artifacts stolen during its seven-month occupation.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide