- Residents angry Obama mispronounced town’s name during mudslide visit
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Netanyahu’s driver accused of raping girls under age 12
- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
- Muslims offended that 9/11 museum movie speaks of jihad
- Obama marks Armenian massacre, avoids using the word ‘genocide’
- Gov. Rick Perry: ‘It’s not a dare, it’s a promise’; Texas will fight BLM
- Howard Dean cheers Obama’s approach to Russian aggression
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s childhood nickname? ‘The Surprise’
- Democrat Grimes backs Keystone XL pipeline in Kentucky Senate race
Veterans of Clinton wars pan, doubt Hillary’s book
Those who remember Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton from another era are giving critical reviews of “Living History,” the New York Democrat’s memoirs, published Monday.
“There should be enough ammunition there for another several thousand radio broadcasts,” said radio talk-show host Lucianne Goldberg in an e-mail message yesterday, noting she would “absolutely” read the book.
“I’ve even read Sid the Squid’s tome,” she added, referring to former Clinton aide Sidney Blumenthal’s recent book. “I find the artfulness of both absolutely fascinating. What very strange people they are.”
Talk-radio host Michael Reagan yesterday said he wouldn’t read it.
“I already lived through those eight years. I didn’t believe her then. Why should I believe her now?” he asked.
But there is much initial bustle. Bookseller Barnes & Noble reported yesterday that 40,000 copies of Mrs. Clinton’s book sold in their stores in the first 24 hours; publisher Simon & Shuster estimated nationwide sales for the first day at 200,000.
“I’d call it ‘Killing History.’ She’s destroyed the fact that there are still 80 missing witnesses from the Clinton investigations,” noted Larry Klayman of Judicial Watch, the legal group that has filed 90 cases against various high-ranking officials for misconduct, including former President Bill Clinton and Mrs. Clinton.
“What Mrs. Clinton leaves out is more telling than what she leaves in. Maybe we should call the book ‘Avoiding History’ instead. Judicial Watch is not mentioned, though we still have three cases pending against her. [Internet muckraker] Matt Drudge isn’t mentioned either,” Mr. Klayman continued.
Former Rep. Bob Barr, Georgia Republican, who served as House manager during Mr. Clinton’s impeachment hearings, also has problems with the book.
“Joining forces with Sid Blumenthal and other so-called historians of the impeachment process, Hillary Clinton has fired yet another shot in the battle to rewrite the history of her husband’s impeachment,” Mr. Barr said, calling it “a deliberate mischaracterization of the impeachment process.”
Gary Aldrich, the 26-year FBI veteran who provided evidence during Mr. Clinton’s impeachment hearings and authored the 1996 best seller, “Unlimited Access,” says he bought Mrs. Clinton’s book.
“I won’t read it all, just the parts on Filegate and Travelgate that I am particularly sensitive to and interested in,” Mr. Aldrich said.
“This book makes the political landscape more dismal. I’m a believer in a strong two-party system, and I think all of us want to see new Democratic candidates. This book just sucks the oxygen out of the air,” said Mr. Aldrich, who has written a new book, “Thunder on the Left: An Insider’s Report on the Hijacking of the Left.”
He continued, “We’re all tired of hearing about the Clintons, and we’re ready to move on. But they seem incapable of moving on themselves.”
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Rand Paul: Bundy's racist remarks are 'offensive'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014