- The Washington Times - Friday, June 27, 2003

KENYA

Britain removes Nairobi flight ban

LONDON — Britain said yesterday that it had lifted a ban on flights to the Kenyan capital Nairobi, imposed last month owing to security fears.

The Department of Transport said it had taken the decision after an improvement in the security situation in the city. The Foreign Office, meanwhile, said it had lifted a warning against inessential travel to Kenya.

Britain imposed the ban after warnings by European ministers and the U.S. State Department and in light of coordinated suicide bombings in Saudi Arabia and Morocco last month.

CONGO

@Brief.head:Annan pleads for more troops

NEW YORK — U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan told the Security Council yesterday to send a robust force to eastern Congo before tribal violence escalated again and French-led troops left the region.

He wrote a stern letter to the 15-member council shortly after it extended the Congo peacekeeping operation for only a month to give members, such as the United States, more time to decide whether to increase the U.N. troop presence and give it a stronger mandate.

The 1,400-member French-led force had a stabilizing effect on the town of Bunia in the northeast Ituri province, scene of devastating tribal violence.

PHILIPPINES

Rebel attack kills 17 at army base

TACLOBAN — Communist rebels attacked a remote army camp in the central Philippines, killing at least 17 persons.

At least 11 soldiers, five government militiamen and the wife of a soldier were killed when the rebels from the New People’s Army (NPA) attacked the camp in Cagpili village, outside Oras town in Eastern Samar province. The rebels, who took advantage of heavy rains and darkness, also suffered casualties, police said.

The NPA, which says it has about 13,500 fighters, has been battling for a Marxist state for more than 30 years. The United States and the European Union have included the NPA on their lists of terrorist organizations.

GERMANY

Court rejects claim on Nazi killings

KARLSRUHE — Germany’s highest criminal court yesterday rejected a compensation claim by four Greeks whose relatives were among more than 200 people killed in a 1944 Nazi massacre as retribution for an attack by partisans.

The Federal Criminal Court ruled that there was no legal basis for individual compensation from the German government, which paid Greece 115 million marks ($68 million at current rates) in the 1960s to compensate victims of the Nazi occupation.

Had the court accepted the claim from Argyris Sfoundouris and his three sisters, whose parents were killed in the massacre, it would have opened the way for thousands more to press their cases.

LIBYA

Law allows citizens to sue foreign states

TRIPOLI — The Libyan parliament has adopted a law permitting its nationals to sue foreign states, if those states permit suits against Libya.

The law, passed Wednesday, authorizes Libyans to “demand redress for damages caused by foreign states, directly or by groups backed by them,” even if the actions occurred before its adoption.

Under the law, suits filed against officials in the administrations of President Reagan and British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher over the deadly 1986 bombings of Tripoli and Bengazi would be allowed to go ahead.

The law has been adopted as Libya is being pursued in U.S. and French courts over the 1988 downing of a Pan American flight over Lockerbie, Scotland.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide