- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
- HUMPRHIES: The Liberal Bully of the Week is …
- Secret Service threatened to kill Mr. Met if he got close to Clinton, mascot claims
Veteran stands by criticism of Kerry
One of the swift boat veterans included in a new television ad questioning the veracity of Democratic presidential nominee Sen. John Kerry’s Vietnam war record stands by his criticism, despite reports he had recanted, according to the group sponsoring the ad.
“Captain George Elliott describes an article appearing in today’s edition of the Boston Globe by Mike Kranish as extremely inaccurate and highly misstating his actual views,” said a statement released yesterday by the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, a group opposed to Mr. Kerry’s election.
“He reaffirms his statement in the current advertisement paid for by the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. Captain Elliott reaffirms his affidavit in support of that advertisement and he reaffirms his request that the ad be played.”
The Boston Globe reported yesterday that Mr. Elliott, who served as Mr. Kerry’s commander during most of his 41/2 months of combat in Vietnam, had recanted his affidavit this week, saying he’d been in a hurry and made a “terrible mistake” by signing it.
“I still don’t think [Mr. Kerry] shot the [Viet Cong] in the back,” Mr. Elliott reportedly told the Globe Thursday from his home. “It was a terrible mistake probably for me to sign the affidavit with those words. I’m the one in trouble here.”
Last month, Mr. Elliott, 67, signed an affidavit swearing that Mr. Kerry “lied” about his experiences in Vietnam.
“Kerry was also not forthright in Vietnam,” he said in his affidavit. “For example, in connection with his Silver Star, I was never informed that he had simply shot a wounded, fleeing Viet Cong in the back.”
A woman who answered the phone at Mr. Elliott’s Delaware home yesterday referred questions to the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. Asked later if the statement — which directly disputed that day’s report in the Globe — was accurate, she conferred with another person and said : “That is absolutely correct.”
It’s not the first time Mr. Elliott has sent mixed signals about Mr. Kerry’s war record.
Prior to his current criticism — part of a searing portrayal of Mr. Kerry’s service — Mr. Elliott campaigned on behalf of Mr. Kerry in a tight 1996 Senate race.
And earlier this year he told USA Today that he had “no question about” Mr. Kerry’s actions that earned him the Silver Star.
“This was an exemplary action,” he said.
In the ad, which is playing in key battleground states such as Ohio, Wisconsin and West Virginia, Mr. Elliott says, “John Kerry has not been honest about what happened in Vietnam.”
Specifically, Mr. Elliott and other Navy veterans who served nearby Mr. Kerry challenge some of the claims that led to the Bronze Star, Silver Star and three Purple Hearts awarded to Mr. Kerry. They also criticize Mr. Kerry for his protesting against the war after he returned home.
Claims by Mr. Elliott and other veterans opposed to Mr. Kerry are to appear in the forthcoming book “Unfit for Command: Swift Boat Veterans Speak Out Against John Kerry.”
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.